Friday 3 October 2008

New headphones - we can all learn from this

I have been trying to decide what headphones to get as a reference for mixing. After chatting to the ever knowing audiophile J Hazen about it, I headed to the biggest local store to get some hands on experience. After going back and forth between a selection of 8 pairs, I narrowed it down to 3 pairs and then I pretty much decided on what cans to get and just wanted to check them with what they were demoing monitors on. I figured that if the iTunes library was good enough to check monitors, then it would be good enough for my headphones. I started off with the Prodigy and there was hardly any bottom end. No real high en either. How very strange... I checked another track and there was a bit more bottom end in that, but nothing that stod out. Now keep in mind Hazen recommended these particular cans for their sub capability, and checking Sound of Habib masters and other reference stuff on the shitty portable CD player that was hooked up to the headphone stand mixer was a real treat on the ears as the sub was nice and warm. Odd. I checked "The robots" by Kraftwerk and there was sub and even a very evident 70s high end hiss. So back to the Prodge again... as I remember the "Fat of the Land" album, it's bottom heavy... but still nothing. I right clicked the file, "get info" and yes... it was a 128kbps mp3. I right clicked the Kraftwerk file and that was a wav. Needless to say, these are great headphones and the people demoing monitors with 128k mp3s are probably not selling that many.

Beyerdynamic DT770 pro - not so great for listening to shitty mp3s.

No comments: